Monday, June 17, 2013

Called to Serve!


It seemed like we had to wait forever and the anticipation was killing us, but Sawyer's mission call finally came! When I pulled that white envelope out of the mailbox and read ELDER Sawyer Varvel, I wanted to cry. It sat on the kitchen table for about 5 hours before Sawyer finally got home to open it! I know what was going on in my mind, so I can only imagine what was going on in his! Once he had his friends gathered around, and family watching via the computer, he was ready to open it.

Dear Elder Varvel:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Texas Lubbock Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 24 months.
You should report to the Prove Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, June 19, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language.



I wish this picture would have turned out better. I love all these kids!

From the time his papers were submitted, everyone was putting in their guesses of where he would serve. I guessed Texas about a month before he got his call. A half hour before he opened it, we were all taking last minute guesses. I stuck with Texas! Mother's intuition I guess. Quite a few peoplee actually thought he would go to Texas!


Bailey is really excited and proud of Sawyer. But once his mission call arrived in the mail, it became very real to her that he would be gone for two years. She had a really rough time.  It was heartbreaking!

Congratulations Elder Varvel! You are going to be one heck of a missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment